Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Pressed






It was press day for the new Tom Allen catalogue: New Releases. Aah, the smell of those delightful inks churning in the big presses while Mohawk Super Fine paper is guided not so gently through. I use 1 800 Postcards and before you chuckle, they are the BEST! I was on press with the mighty print master Sebastian and overall production manager, Haim the Magnificent.

The cries of "more red, more red" were heard quite often. Sebastian is a massive man with a gentle touch. He grew quite fond of Tom's work over the course of the day and hoped to visit the gallery to see the show.

Haim and I both took a good look at the proofs and what was coming out of the press. Haim cuts me a lot of slack. It might be the 15-year Glenfiddich I slipped him last week, but I like to think he has empathy for my plight of championing my super cool artists.

Finally, there is approval and Haim pulls out this diamond studded Mont Blanc pen and I sign off on the sheet which closes out a long day. My eyes see all colors of the rainbow, but perhaps with a bit more red, more red.

As I write this, the catalogues are at the binder...at least they should be. Haim, if you're reading this, please make sure they are at the binder! I trust him, not to worry. We kick the show off Thursday night with 16 brand new images. We should be here late, at least until 9 pm, so please stop in and say hello to Tom.

3 comments:

Thomas Allen said...

These catalogs ROCK! How do I know? Because it is full of my images! Yes. I am the artist. However, I must erect a very tall pedestal to the designer: Dolly Meieran. Her talents are astounding. My only regret is that she was unable to attend the opening. Too bad because I was going to give her a big hug. Not to worry. I'll be back in NY soon!!!

Tom Allen

patrick said...

You are so skinny Foley, Congrats! Have you been on the finger diet?

Anonymous said...

You used 1 800 postcards for the catalogs? What was the edition run?

I won't be in town for a little, can I call in an order for one?